In order to meet the housing targets set by central government, Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council (TMBC) has put forward a draft Local Plan that meets their expected housing need until 2031. As part of this, TMBC has identified two Housing Markets Areas that provide the ideal opportunity to deliver not only the housing required for the expected population within the Plan period, but also the significant infrastructure expected to accompany a development of this size.
The proposals for Borough Green Gardens sit within the Sevenoaks/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells Housing Market Area, identified by TMBC as a location capable of creating sustainable development, in one of the locations of greatest housing need, hence it’s inclusion by TMBC in their draft Local Plan.
Given the early stages of the proposals, we expect any forthcoming planning application to include:
- Approximately 3,000 new homes, including a mixture of tenure types, plus affordable and family sized housing to create a diverse community
- A Relief Road; removing up to 900 vehicles movements at morning and evening peaks from driving through Borough Green
- Two primary schools; 1 x two-form, 1 x three-form
- New employment floorspace; creating hundreds of new jobs
- Community and neighbourhood hubs
- Doctors surgery
- Local shops
- Sports centres and playing fields
As part of a large consultation survey in late 2016/early 2017, the consortium asked the local community and surrounding areas what they would like to see prioritised within any large-scale development. We have incorporated those answers, which included schools, shops, medical facilities and transport infrastructure into the proposals, to ensure that the proposals for Borough Green Gardens can provide the infrastructure and facilities that are required locally.